Performs skilled work in all phases of water treatment and supply, wastewater collection and treatment, maintenance and repair of streets and related public works, and maintenance of the airport, swimming pool, carousel park, ball parks, and city park, under the direction of the Mayor and City Council. Maintains files and records necessary for the operation of these departments. Supervises personnel and performs related work as required. Experience preferred in heavy machinery operation. Must have or ability to obtain a CDL within 6 months. Must have or ability to obtain water and wastewater certifications from the State of South Dakota. Must have or ability to obtain mosquito and herbicide spraying certifications.
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all duties which may be found in positions of this class.)
- Organize, assign, and review the operation and maintenance of streets, utilities, parks, rubble site and airport.
- Responsible for street repair and maintenance activities including cleaning, sealing, crack sealing, cold and hot mix asphalt patching, hauling and storing of sand and gravel, litter pickup, and removal of snow and ice. Including snow removal at airport, city hall, and all other sidewalks on city property such as the city park and carousel park sidewalks.
- Responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of machinery and equipment.
- Empty all trash receptacles belonging to city, at various locations throughout the city.
- Orders materials, supplies, and chemicals as needed.
- Recommends budget needs and determinations. Cost projections of materials and equipment for street, water, and sewer projects.
- Maintain inventory and supplies, correct and report safety hazards.
- Clean storm sewers, culverts, catch basins, and drains.
- Receive and investigate citizen complaints.
- Performs a variety of tasks in the custodial, maintenance, repair and upkeep of city owned facilities.
- Responsible for overall custodial, grounds, and maintenance duties including but not limited to: cleaning city hall bathrooms, city park bathrooms, ball park bathrooms, city hall meeting room, vacuuming carpets, scrubbing floors, emptying trash, replace light bulbs, painting exterior and interior surfaces, make minor carpentry, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical repairs.
- Responsible for maintenance of swimming pool mechanical operations to include the filtering system, circulation pump, chlorination, chemicals, and valves. Caulking and painting of the pool and bathhouse. Mowing around the pool and repairs/maintenance to the fence.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the carousel and carousel park grounds.
- Perform grounds keeping, landscaping, and maintenance activities to include but not limited to: mowing roadways, city park, ball parks, carousel park and airport. Prepare flower beds for planting, trim trees and shrubs. Identify disease/damaged trees for removal, transplant, fertilize, and water trees, shrubs, and flowers.
- Inspect, care, and maintain picnic shelters, carousel, playground equipment, fences, and other park properties and facilities.
- Management of water and sewer departments including planning for improvements and construction of both systems. Maintenance and repair of water mains and sewer lines.
- Supervise, inspect, and coordinate all functions and operations of the water department and lagoon.
- Oversee and control the day to day operation of the water production, to include distribution and purification. Supervise the maintenance of the City wells. Ensure proper testing and chemical treatment of water, water lines, all water hookups and disconnects. Ensures proper maintenance of meters, and inspects installation of new water services. Reads meters and provides data to City Finance Office for billing.
- Responsible for maintaining records of amount of water pumped, maps of curb-stop locations & water main valve locations, chemicals used and any other pertinent information necessary for efficient operation of the utility department. Performs all required testings of water for proper chlorine levels. Submits water samples for bacteriological testing.
- Responsible for purchase of chemicals, meters and all necessary repair items.
- Performs preventive maintenance of all system equipment as necessary and as indicated by manuals and instructions. Flushes all City hydrants a minimum of twice a year.
- Oversee, and control the day to day operation of the wastewater collection and treatment. Keep files and records necessary for the operation of these departments.
- Direct all wastewater collection and treatment functions. Supervises the regular maintenance and repair of the sanitary sewer system and ensures proper operation and maintenance of the City lagoon system, and all related equipment. Includes ensuring proper testing and reporting procedures and working with environmental control agencies as appropriate.
- Responsible for maintaining records of all sewer cleaning operations and all other pertinent facts concerning all the wastewater collections and treatment functions. Inspects installation of new sewer services.
- Responsible for water and sewer taps, and oversees installation of lines. Keep maps of sewer line locations.
- Works closely with mayor and council, but has considerable latitude for independent action regarding street, water, sewer and parks operations.
- Also insures completion of other necessary administrative work including proper record keeping, preparation of required reports for State and Federal agencies.
- Investigates water quality and service complaints. Investigates wastewater complaints.
Handles emergency or service calls and works extended hours in adverse weather conditions when required. Some travel may be required for meetings and workshops.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to repair and do maintenance work on automotive equipment and machinery.
- General mechanical ability and knowledge to operate tools, equipment, machines, and materials needed for maintenance and upkeep of assigned areas.
- Ability to perform manual labor and work independently.
- Ability to operate light to medium duty equipment such as trucks, front-end loader, snow plow, and motor grader.
- Skill in operating motorized equipment in a safe manner.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of public service relating to streets and public property.
- Working knowledge of the laws, ordinances and regulations governing street and public property of the city.
- Thorough knowledge of processes involved in the supply, pumping and treatment of water.
- Knowledge of equipment, materials, and methods used in sewer construction and maintenance, collection and treatment of wastewater and plant operations and repairs.
- Knowledge of the methods, equipment and materials involved in the operations supervised, including awareness of the hazards involved and necessary safety precautions.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations for cost and budget projections and to organize and exercise technical supervision and decision making.
- Ability to supervise employees and establish and maintain effective working relationships with city officials, other personnel and the general public.
- Ability to present ideas clearly and persuasively, orally and in writing.
- High school graduate.
- Able to understand and effectively carry out oral or written instructions.
- Hold certificates required by the State of South Dakota to operate water and wastewater facilities; Class 1 Wastewater Treatment, Class 1 Water Distribution and Class 1 Wastewater Collection. Or able to obtain certification within 1 year of employment.
- Hold a valid South Dakota commercial driver's license. Or able to obtain CDL within 6 months of employment.
City of Faulkton
Faulkton, SD 57438